News & Updates
Historic Move : UGC Grants Autonomy to 60 Higher Educational Institutionswww.Opasis.com
Introducing a liberalized regime in the education sector with linkage of autonomy and quality, the University Grants Commission has granted autonomy to sixty Higher Educational Institutions which have maintained high academic standards.
How does it benefit these Universities : These Universities will remain within the ambit of UGC but will get a lot more freedom in following respects
a) Start new courses
b) Establish off-campus centres
c) Introduce skill development courses
d) Start research parks
e) Start new academic programs
f) Higher foreign faculty
g) Enroll foreign students
h) Give incentive based emoluments to faculty
i) Enter into academic collaborations
j) Run open distance learning programs
And how do the colleges benefit : Eight colleges have also been granted autonomy, whereby the colleges will be free to do the following
a) Set their own syllabus
b) Hold examinations
c) Carry out evaluations and declare results
In these cases, only the degree will be awarded by the University
Central Universities – In Autonomy Category I
1) Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
2) University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
Central Universities – In Autonomy Category II
3) Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
4) Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
5) The English and Foreign Languages University, Telangana
State Universities – In Autonomy Category I
1) Jadavpur University, Jadavpur, Kolkata
2) Algappa University, Karaikudi
3) NALSAR University of Law, Telangana
4) SavitribaiPhule Pune University, Pune
5) Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
6) National Law University Delhi, Dwarka
7) Utkal University, Bhubaneswar
8) Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
9) Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati
10) Osmania University, Hyderabad
11) Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
12) University of Jammu, Jammu
State Universities – In Autonomy Category II
13) University of Mysore, Mysuru
14) Anna University, Chennai
15) Punjab University, Chandigarh
16) Kakatiya University, Warangal
17) Punjabi University, Patiala
18) Rajiv Gandhi University of Law, Patiala
19) National Law University Odisha, Cuttack
20) University of Madras, Chennai
21) Guru Jambheshwar University of Science & Technology, Hisar
Deemed To Be Universities – In Autonomy Category I
1) Homi Bhabha National Institute Mumbai, Maharashtra.
2) Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.
3) Gandhi Institute of Technology and Management (GITAM), Visakhapatnam, AP.
4) Narsee Monjee Institute of Studies, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
5) Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
6) Dr. D.Y. Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune, Maharashtra
7) Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy (SASTRA), Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
8) Symbiosis International, Pune, Maharashtra.
9) Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
10) Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences, Wardha, Maharashtra.
11) Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Deemed To Be Universities – In Autonomy Category II
1) TERI School of Advanced Studies, New Delhi.
2) Jain University, Bangalore, Karnataka.
3) Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore, Tamil Nadu.
4) Manipal Academy of Higher Education
5) KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research, Belgaum,Karnataka.
6) Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
7) Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT), Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
8) JSS Academy of Higher Education & Research, Mysore, Karnataka.
9) ICFAI Foundation for Higher Education and Research, Hyderabad, Telangana.
10) Dr. M.G.R. Educational and Research Institute, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
11) Padmashree Dr. D.Y. Patil Vidyapeeth, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra.
12) The Indian Law Institute, New Delhi.
13) Siksha ‘O’ Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
Private Universities – In Autonomy Category II
1) O.P. Jindal Global University, Sonipat, Haryana
2) Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
Colleges granted autonomy with name of affiliating University
1) Yashvantrao Chavan Institute of Science, Satara, 533, Sadar Bazar, Satara Maharashtra-415 001 affiliated to Shivaji University, Kolhapur
2) Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering, Rajiv Gandhi Salai, Kalavakkam-603 110 (Tamilnadu) affiliated to Anna University, Chennai
3) G. Narayanamma Institute of Technology & Science (For Women), 8-1-297/2/I, Shaikpet, Hyderabad-500 104 Telangana affiliated to JNTU Hyderabad, Telangana
4) Vivekanand College, 2130/E, Tarabai Park, Kolhapur-416 003 (Maharastra) affiliated to Shivaji University, Kolhapur
5) Sri Vasavi Engineering College, Pedatadepalli, Tadepalligudem-534 101 (West Godavari Dist.,) (Andhra Pradesh) affiliated to Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kakinada
6) Bonam Venkata Chalamayya Engineering College, Odalarevu-553 210,Allavaram Mandal, East Godavari Dist., Andhra Pradesh affiliated to Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh
7) Jai Hind College Basantsing Institute of Science & J.T. Lalvani College of Commerce, 23-24 Backbay Reclamation, A-Road, Churchgate, Mumbai-400 020 affiliated to University of Mumbai, Mumbai-400 032
8) Shri Vile Parle Kelavani Mandal’s Mithibai College of Arts, Chauhan Institute of Amrutben Jivanlal College of Commerce and Economics, Vile Parle (West), Mumbai-400 056 affiliated to University of MumbaiFollow us on Follow us on